Log Reader Agent Status | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Log Reader Agent Status

I configured a transactional Repl with non-updatable subscribers successfully,
Distribution Agent runs at subscriber continusouly
Snapshot Agent runs immediately to create initial snapshot files
Initialize the subscriber immediately when creating subscriber When the subscriber was created, I checked the destnation db, found no db object were created, Also checked that the corresponding log reader agent status is ‘Between Retries’, not ‘executing’? I guess the potential reason might be the Replication Agent conflict, because I created 5 publications, and 5 local subscriptions, totally 5 snapshot agents, 5 distribution agents, 1 Queue reader Agent and 2 Log reader Agents on one SQL Server 2005 instance? Any thought?
——————
Bug explorer/finder/seeker/locator
——————
Error message from event viewer Description:
Replication-Replication Transaction-Log Reader Subsystem: agent IC1GDD01-X_ReplTest_2-2 failed. The process could not execute ‘sp_repldone/sp_replcounters’ on ‘IC1GDD01’. ——————
——————
What is the log reader agent error? http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151190.aspx
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=811030
MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com
Mohammed, you answered my question perfectly again. the info below I excerpted from the link you mentioned above is helpful. "Only one Log Reader Agent or log-related procedure (sp_repldone, sp_replcmds, and sp_replshowcmds) can connect to a database at a time. If you executed a log-related procedure, drop the connection over which the procedure was executed or execute sp_replflush over that connection before starting the Log Reader Agent or executing another log-related procedure." The cause is: I setuped 2 trans Repls using the same database as publisher, these 2 log reader agent is scheduled run continuously, so the second log reader agent could not be able to connect to the database due to the first log reader agent. But new problem arise, firstly, I created the trans Repl using DB1 as the publisher, one SQL job appears for this log reader agent, then I created the trans Repl with updatable subscriber also using DB1 as publisher, no sql job apprear for the log reader agent,
Doesn’t trans repl with updatable subscriber publication require a separate log reader agent?????????????
These two publications runs on the same db perfectly. after one week, I created the third publication, trans Repl on the same DB1, a sql job appear for the new log reader agent, and error occurs,
——————
——————
Updates, I checked my multiple Repls from the repl monitor, I found the first trans repl and the 2nd updatable trans repl are actually share the same log reader agent, Just curious, why my 3rd trans repl could not be able to share the same log reader. All 3 repls have the same publisher db,different articles. They all share the same local distributor ——————
——————
As per MS, one Log Reader Agent for each database published db.
I don’t know why you have two in this case…
What is the schedule of these two log reader agents?
MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com
Both are scheduled to run continuously, only the first one functions correctly, the status of the second one is ‘between retries’, every miniutes, one error entry stating malfunction of Transaction-Log Reader Subsystem was found in Event viewer. The only difference is for the second one I setup as pull subscriber, which means that distribution agent will run on subscriber, it seems does not affect log reader agent.The log reader agent will still on the local distributor, ——————
——————
]]>