log shipping 2005 | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

log shipping 2005

how can i stop secondary Database from deleting rows which i have deleted in the primary Database in log shipping. Thanks
Ali Awan

You cannot as the log shipping backup/restore will already affect the changes on secondary database, only from last database backup you can recover the data. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
hi I have a live database which has a very huge size so I am planning to maintain two databases one for archived purpose which should contain up till now data and the other database which should only contain 6 months data. I know that if I go for manual process then I have to write two types of scripts 1) Scripts which should update the archived Database with new or modified Records from live Database 2) Scripts to delete records from live Database which has more than 6 months life.
I want to avoid step number 1 and want some automated feature of SQL Server. Can you please help me in this mater? Ali

How you are controlling the step (1), if it is through a scheduled job then you have to stop that until you can get the data back. IN this case if you already configured/running the log shipping then it is too late, as already the updates will be updated to the standby database. What you have said is something new concept you want to deploy then yes using the TSQL scripts and scheduled jobs you can accomplish the task. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
]]>