log shipping question | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

log shipping question

Hi Silly questions: I have a already configured job to backup the database and and it’s transaction logs. On top of that I set up a log shipping. Actually I manually restored db to the standby server and scheduled only backups of the
trasaction log ( no additional full backup of db) so: 1. Regular db backup
2.regular transaction log backup
3. Log shipping transaction log backup. Is that make sence or I have to disable one of the transaction log backup? I checked copied transaction log files on Standby server. One of them is TUF file
What does it mean.
instead of TransactionLog.trn
I have TransactionLog.tuf
If the log shipping is configured then no need for manual or intermittent Tlog backup jobs, check the execution of Log shippng jobs and disable all other jobs. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Ok. Thank you So now I have : Primary server:
1. Full backup of db, daily
2. Transaction log backup , hourly. Standby server:
1. Copy transaction log files from Primary
2. Restore transaction log from copied transaction logs 3. Allert for coping
4. Allert for restore
What I can’t figure out is : I am backing up the database fully on Primary Server
How after that new transaction logs can be actually restored to the standby server?
Shouldn’t I restore as well the full/daily backup to the Stadby server? I checked copied transaction log files on Standby server. One of them is TUF file
What does it mean.
instead of TransactionLog.trn
I have TransactionLog.tuf Please help

TUF related to the Teradata utilities such as Cognos. Once you restore the full backup from Primary to secondary then continue loading the transaction logs in regular intervals without any interruption. There is no need to perform full backup again, as the Tlog backups are taking care of transactions on the database. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Thank you satya:
my log shipping is working now as a Swiss watch.

]]>