Log Shipping Timing | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Log Shipping Timing

I am setting up Log Shipping for the first time and have some basic questions. I will be shipping from Server A to Server B. The first time I created the log ship schedule it backed up and restored the database from A to B as expected. I will now be setting up the shipping of the logs to happen every 24 hours. First question: We have automated incremental backups that happen every 6 hours that truncate the log. So if we ship the transaction log at 1:00am each day and there are 3 incremental backups that happen before the next log ship – how do those transactions make it to Server B? Second Question: Does the setting up of log shipping in any way effect the transaction logs on the source system? I need to be very sure that our backup plan is not effected by this. Thanks.
If you are using log shipping then no need to perform differential backups, if you happen to have such log truncation then it will invalidate the log shipping. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
]]>