Logs | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Logs

Hello I’m not a SQL expert so I need some expert advice. I had setup and maintance plan and in that plan I had it do backups. After months and months, I started to have problems such as apps not working when it did before. Come to find out the log files got hugh, a total of 171G and now I’m run out of disk space. So my question is, is there a way to shrink the log files? Thanks
What recovery model do you have? Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Hey Luis I’m not sure. I deleted the maintanence plan to figure out what the problem is. I hope that is what you’re wanting.
Ok, you have 3 types of recovery models: Full, Bulk and Simple. To find out yours, run using Query Analyzer: select DATABASEPROPERTYEX (‘Databasename’, ‘RECOVERY’)
If Full or Bulk, then the idea is to backup transaction log said each 2 hours.
So, if any crash occurs, you can restore up last transaction log. But if policy is to backup full database only at the end of the day, you don’t need Full or Bulk, you need Simple. Transaction log grows a lot with Full or Bulk and few in Simple. So, tell my about recovery model and backup policy.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Check the maintenance plan log for more information and take help of this KBAhttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;288577 to troubleshoot. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Hey Luis Thanks for your help. I think I got it resolved. The backup plan some how was not set up correctly by the vendor and so it had filled up the transaction logs very fast. Thanks for the link satya.
]]>