Mapped drives, impact on server? | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Mapped drives, impact on server?

Hi !
Could anyone recomend me some article regarding impact of mapped drives:
server , shared folders, users connect to those folders using mapping.
Application installation in those shared folders and users actually running this
apllication using mapped drive ( insatllation on server)
Can this affect kernel memory?
What should i monitor?
Hi ya, I’m not aware of articles as such, but the impact on the server itself will be limited to serving the files to the pc… so paging/disk activity and network activity are the ones to look at The programs will run on the pcs that map to the drive, the server won’t run them on the user’s behalf, so cpu time will be minimal (unless there are loads of users) Cheers
Twan
How about security?
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
No matter how much your PC has, physical memory is always a precious resource.
one of the windows mag article refers …
In Windows, physical memory has "page pooled" and "non-page pooled" allocations. Non-page pooled memory is for code that is time critical, such as the Virtual Memory Manager (VMM) itself. Page pooled memory is mapped to disk files and allows the OS to swap the memory pages out to disk if additional physical memory is needed elsewhere.
Pool memory is managed by a system of descriptors called Page Table Entries (PTE) that incorporate memory page frame numbers, which point to physical memory pages From Windows Xp onwards OS has more robust memory handling is I/O Throttling. For performance reasons, Windows tries to do as much processing in parallel as possible. However, if memory usage gets to the point where there’s none left to allocate, Windows will "throttle down" it’s processing of memory to a page a time, using the resources it can. While this slows the system, it doesn’t crash. So it’s worth mentioning a PC’s physical memory requirement and we never had such issues in allowing Application users to share drives and mapping effecting directly to SQL server performance, PERFMON (SYSMON) capture would give better idea of system resources sharing information. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Thank you.
I reinstalled operating system and problem gone
services.exe usually was taking 9 000 000 – 17 000 000 handles
and paged pool was growing like crasy.
Had to reboot on a weekly basic.
After reinstall everything is just perfect
still don’t understand what was happening , but there is no problem anymore.

There could be an issue with the few DLLs on OS part and that must have fixed on the afresh install. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>