max worker threads | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

max worker threads

is set to 255 when usually we have around 500
how come i am not gettig any error messages?
Max worker threads need not be same as no. of connections. SQL Server internally pools the worker threads for each connection. Gaurav
Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

Description about MWT from a website :

The default setting for the ‘max worker threads’ option is 255. If the number of user connections will be less than the ‘max worker threads’ value, a separate operating system thread will be created for each client connection, but if the number of user connections will exceed this value the thread pooling will be used. For example, if the maximum number of the user connections to your SQL Server box is equal to 50, you can set the ‘max worker threads’ options to 50, this frees up resources for SQL Server to use elsewhere. If the maximum number of the user connections to your SQL Server box is equal to 500, you can set the ‘max worker threads’ options to 500, this can improve SQL Server performance because thread pooling will not be used.

_________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

Well i found this article with sugestion to increase max worker thread if user connections
usually bigger than 255 http://www.mssqlcity.com/Tips/tipSrvSet.htm

should i backup dbs before such a change and also changing virtual memory
No need to backup database. Virual memory change will require reboot but I don’t think you need backup. Gaurav
Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

Backups are must if you’re changing any system configuration which you’re unsure or not tested, it cost nothing if you perform backup and keep in safe location. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

Thank you
]]>