mdf files | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

mdf files

Can a mdf file be renamed to ndf for example? Must it have the extention of mdf? Can you use a different extention?
mdf and ndf are standards extensions, but not obligatories.
BTW: What problem is to keep standard?
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
yeah you can use any extension, or none at all in fact.. Tom Pullen
DBA, Oxfam GB
I am helping a co worker and he thought that the .ndf was an issue. I don’t believe so and you have verified it for me. Thank you! Below is the error message. An I/O device error. Do you know by any chance what this really means? Is the file bad? And if so is there a way to fix it?
Job ‘Panorama: Inventory Reconciliation Refresh’ : Step 2, ‘Run usp_calculate_additional_takedates SP’ : Began Executing 2004-12-28 10:02:34 Msg 823, Sev 24: I/O error 1117(The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.) detected during read at offset 0x0000000cd10000 in file ‘I:MSSQLDataking_master_02.ndf’. [SQLSTATE HY000]
can you run a DBCC CHECKDB on tha DB in which you are executing the SP? My guess it that it would return you some error. If not, let us know the result of DBCC CHECKDB. If it does return you an error then restore the DB from ur most recent backup. HTH
-Rajeev
You also might want to look at your disk array and pathing to the array (controller card, HBA card, or whatever). MeanOldDBA
[email protected] When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Looks like you’ve got problems with your disk or disk controller. Also, have a look in your Windows Event log for further info. This should give you some more information on the problem. Can you copy a file to your drive using Windows Explorer?
Make sure you have a good backup schedule in place anyway as these errors can sometimes happen before disks fail. It could be an early warning – it may not though.
Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
To echoe the other replies have a look at this reply by Paul Randal:
http://groups.google.de/groups?hl=d…e75JAdmpEHA.556%40tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl&rnum=7 It has nothing to do with any naming convention and/or file extensions or whatsoever. —
Frank
http://www.insidesql.de

quote:Originally posted by lcerniglia I am helping a co worker and he thought that the .ndf was an issue. I don’t believe so and you have verified it for me. Thank you! Below is the error message. An I/O device error. Do you know by any chance what this really means? Is the file bad? And if so is there a way to fix it?
Job ‘Panorama: Inventory Reconciliation Refresh’ : Step 2, ‘Run usp_calculate_additional_takedates SP’ : Began Executing 2004-12-28 10:02:34 Msg 823, Sev 24: I/O error 1117(The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.) detected during read at offset 0x0000000cd10000 in file ‘I:MSSQLDataking_master_02.ndf’. [SQLSTATE HY000]

Any question?
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All in Love is Fair
Stevie Wonder
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
]]>