Memory | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Memory

Hi I am looking on one of my SQL server 2005 It is set to dynamically configure memory 0-2 G 4 processory, 2 G of physical memory When I look at task manager :
total memory =2 G
available mb =300mb
system cashe =400 mb commit charge=2G
limit =4 G
peak=2.1 G When I go to check processes , add column virtual memory
I see sql is using 1.2 G of memory and at the same time Virtual memory size for sql is 1,7G Is that means that sql is paging even thoght it can use physical memory instead?
I still have 300 mb available why my VM size> physical memory size occupaed by sql?
Task manager is not useful for SQL. Use performance monitor instead.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All in Love is Fair
Stevie Wonder
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
What do you mean it is not usefull? If my commit charge bigger than total physical memory isn’t that mean that my system
is paging? Even if this is dedicated SQL server- there is still services, OS . So paging will affect SQL as well – if OS slow – everything will be slow? Of course I will go further and take
memory page/sec
memory available mb
cpu
sql buffer cache hit ratio
disk ….etc but if I see on sql server that my peak was already > total physical memory – I guess it is my first sign I should monitor further?
What I mean is: Task Manager was maintained for NT compatibility.
If you see 1.2Gb used by SQL and 1.7 of VM used by SQL don’t mean true. If you run monitor performance and add the following counters: SQL Memomy Manager–> SQL Memory and Target SQL Memory, then you really know how much memory SQL is using. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All in Love is Fair
Stevie Wonder
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Agree with Luis, in order to get correct statistics you have to rely upon the PERFMON (SYSMON) not on task manager at all the times. TM is good to give you high level information on the services & processes but for the realtime PERFMON is far better. BTW what is the setting for VM? Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information on it.
]]>