Memory Issue | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Memory Issue

Hi,
when we r running a long running queries the memory graph of the server goes high indicating that server resources is being utilised drastically.According to me the graph must come down afetr completion of the query since sqlserver.exe automatically releases the memory.But its not happening while i’m watching sql server performance monitor.
so is their any way by which i can fourcefully released the server memory.
Thanks,, Atul A Sathe
Capture the PERFMON counters for Memory, CPU, physcial disk, sQL Server memory for furthe assessment. In general SQL captures the memory and leave it to OS whenever it is required. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
How much RAM do you have in the server? You might want to consider setting a max on how much memory you let SQL Server use. MeanOldDBA
[email protected] When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Take a look of Performance Monitor, Memoy, Pages/sec. if average is more than 20 for long time, may you need: 1) More Tunign 2)More memory. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
SQL Server doesn’t relase memory taken up easily unless there is a need from system for so. The idea is it is assumed that SQL Server may need the same memory in future and it is cheap to keep it. Hoever if there is some other application on the system or else if system itself needs memory, SQL Server releases the same. Are you seeing memory performance issues on the box or the concern is just the huge working set of sqlservr.exe? To answere your original question, SQL Server does not have any inbuild mechanism to release memory. Gaurav
Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

The views expressed here are those of the author and no one else. There are no warranties as to the reliability or accuracy of anything presented here.
http://blogs.msdn.com/gauravbi/default.aspx
]]>