merge two text columns in the same table | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

merge two text columns in the same table

What i need to do is merge two col. of text into one
example
column one desciption : bumper
column two extended description : red
What i would like to end up with is columns one : bumper red
Sorry to post such a basic question but i can’t seem to find out how to do this on any of the online help forums and any help would be very, very helpful, this is all very new to me. I have a very small auto parts buss.We have mssbs 2003 with 4 xp pro work stations our P.O.S. software uses ms sql data base the software guy imported the data in under the wrong field, said he would come back then fell off the face of earth I am trying to learn basic sql ASAP because I can’t call the network guy every time I need help. $$$ the third party P.O.S. (they say it stands for point of sale, but i’m not so sure) software company basicly told me they dont know, go away thanks for any help, Jim (jmkcrash)
Refer to the SQL server books online for CONCATENATION topic and following is extracted from BOL:
Use string concatenation
This example creates a single column (under the column heading Name) from multiple character columns, with the author’s last name followed by a comma, a single space, and then the author’s first name. The result set is in ascending, alphabetical order by the author’s last name, and then by the author’s first name. USE pubs
SELECT (au_lname + ‘, ‘ + au_fname) AS Name
FROM authors
ORDER BY au_lname ASC, au_fname ASC

Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>