[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes] | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]

I am trying to connect to an instance of sql server hosted remotly,by QA.I got the following err.
Server: Msg 17, Level 16, State 1
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]SQL Server does not exist or access denied. SQl server is hosted on Win 2003 server.Pl suggest

Make sure that the remote server is running Madhivanan
Yes I checked the service manager its running.
Make sure that the SQL Server which hosts the database has the Named Pipes library activated. Look up the following topic in BOL: Named Pipes, testing and verifying

Please check SQL server is listening on TCP or Namepipe.Based on server setting you add client entry on your Client Network Utility. I hope this will help.

I have checked all these.When we made a connection on the host server by QA on host server ..its working fine.But when I try to connect remotely I m geting that error buy QA.The application which is using this db is showing a similar error
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error ‘80004005’ [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]SQL Server does not exist or access denied

Does the remote QA have the same SP level as the host server?
Yes both have the SP3 as service packs
I should have said "the same SP level for SQL Server", but your answer seems to refer to that so no problem. And for MDAC?
Can you telnet to the sql port on the server? If not verify network connectivity. 1.
On the SQL server verify the port is uses, normally 1433. Write down the IP of the server. 2.
On the client open a command prompt and type:
telnet ip_of_server 1433 for example:
telnet 10.1.1.33 1433 If you get "could not open connection to host" error you have a network issue. Check network settings and firewalls etc. If you can establish a connection you will get a blank screen in the prompt. If you can connect by ip but not name:
telnet my_sql_server_name 1433 then you have a name resolution issue. Check your DNS or WINS settings or connect to the server by IP (which normally is a bad idea)

I followed the process given by u.I got a blank screen by using telnet but still the error is there.pls suggest what should i do now
Seehttp://www.sql-server-performance.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7457
]]>