Mirroring Explicit Redirect | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Mirroring Explicit Redirect

Hi all, From a developer’s point of view, what would be a prefered method of connecting to a Failover Partner database: 1. Include it in initial conn string as:
"server=Partner_A; failover partner=Partner_B; database=AdventureWorks". OR 2. Have a DNS alias on the DNS server, and the conn string will only connect to an alias? Thanks
It is recommended to use first option without manual interference…
MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

IMHO & experience I would prefer manual intervention, as it gives more control to what you want to choose. Again the option of automatic and manual failover method depends upon your business logic, I have seen many shops out there don’t want to choose automatic due to the dependancy of application on other components that are not aware of this auto-fail feature. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
Database failover manual should be fine but for application connection string when you have the option why don’t we use it without changing the connection every time failover happens…
MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

Agreed, not contradicting on what you said I have seen many out there asking such reference. It is true that when you have option on appilication side you have an advantage. If the application is failover-aware then why not utilize to the extent. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
THANKS GUYS!
]]>