mirroring with out witness server | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

mirroring with out witness server

hi all we are workin on mirroring ……and getting the same error as rest of people
we are doing mirroring with out witness server is that a reson for these three errors
errors are………> :..> Alter failed for Database ‘KQDB’, (Microsoft SqlServer.Smo) :..>An exception occured while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch
[Microsoft SqlServer.Connection.info] :..>Database mirroring Transport is disabled in the endpoint configuration.
[Microsft SQL Server,Error: 1486] if any one has done sucessfully can i plz have the exsact steps & one more doubt which one is more usefull and less prone to comman errors sql server management studio or T-sql for performing mirroring activity. thanks
shashank jr,dba loosing ur love is loosing ur life
Why not install Witness server on a SQL Express edition?
One of the MS forums refers:
quote:
You don’t need the trace flag if you install SP1 which has now released. Otherwise if SP1 isn’t yet an option (which it really should be if you want to use db mirroring), you can add -T1400 as a startup parameter via the SQL Configuration Manager, properties of the SQL Server service -> advanced tab ->Startup Parameters. it’s not particularly well indexed or cross-referenced but BOL has details here : ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/udb9/html/c82d19e5-5557-4235-9a70-37983607a1fd.htm

Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided �AS IS� with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
hi i have only two sql 2005 servers than wat shall i do……..? thanks
shashank jr.dba loosing ur love is loosing ur life
You can install SQL Express which is free to use as a witness, which is documented in BOL I think. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
This posting is provided �AS IS� with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
thank u i’ll for sure do that loosing ur love is loosing ur life
theres no need of witness as a part of mirroring… its role is just to failover principal to mirror server in case if there is any.. if witness is not configured then failover can be intiated manually
Sidh next2none is what others feel about the maverick
quote:When you use database mirroring in high-availability mode, the process of determining a failover is based on the network connection. If there is a problem with the network, mirroring will fail over or deny access to the database because of the quorum requirement. Although mirroring has acted correctly, not having access may surprise customers, because with an ordinary stand-alone computer, the database would still be served.
Though DM without witness is possible that is another type of Synchronous mirroring configuration, I wouldn’t go that route on a production server environment. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
]]>