move sys db from old db server to new cluster serv | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

move sys db from old db server to new cluster serv

dear everyone: I am making the plan to move dbs from old production db server to new cluster db server. In order to reduce the downtime, I should minimize the downtime. I have check the previous post ‘migration from sql 2k standalone to cluster’, but it doesn’t mention how to move sys db.
Does it mean we don’t need to move sys db after transfering all app db, logins, jobs and etc?
I wouldn’t move the system databases from a single server ot a cluster. Just move all logins, jobs, linked servers, dts packages etc via scripts or manually instead.
thanks
Can you tell me more details why it’s better? thanks. microsoft has the instruction to move sql from one db server to another. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224071 it moves the sys dbs.
quote:Originally posted by Argyle I wouldn’t move the system databases from a single server ot a cluster. Just move all logins, jobs, linked servers, dts packages etc via scripts or manually instead.

For moving msdb database.. its better/easy to restore it using old production db backup For Master db.. you can change the startup parameter’s of SQL server.. if you are moving all user database on the cluster server.. else its better to move logins and create linked server’s.
Deepak Kumar
THe specified KBA refers the steps to be following if you want to move the databases including system to anotther SQL server and that speaks about non-clustered base. As suggested by Argyle except the MSDB which holds the jobs and other dTS packages for the database can be replaced from non-cluster to cluster. Refer to the books online for the topic Failover clusering, upgrading clusters topic for further information. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Thanks for all the useful information, deepak and sayta I have restored the msdb and it’s convenient to restore it. it works.
quote:Originally posted by deepakontheweb For moving msdb database.. its better/easy to restore it using old production db backup For Master db.. you can change the startup parameter’s of SQL server.. if you are moving all user database on the cluster server.. else its better to move logins and create linked server’s.
Deepak Kumar

]]>