Moving objects | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Moving objects

I have all my user database objects residing in the primary file group. I want to create additional file-groups and move the user objects from the primary to secondary. I was sucesful in creating secondary file-group. but how could i go to tables, indexes, procedures and move them to the newly created file-groups? Appreciated if someone please advice. Thanks,
Cali
Make the second the secondary file group as default group… creating a clustered index and using the ON partition_scheme_name or ON filegroup_name clause effectively moves a table from the filegroup on which the table was created to the new partition scheme or filegroup. Before creating tables or indexes on specific filegroups, verify which filegroups are available and that they have enough empty space for the index. For more information, see Determining Index Disk Space Requirements. Check BOL topic "CREATE INDEX (Transact-SQL) "
ex: CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX Employee_Ind ON Employee(LName,FName,Minit) WITH DROP_EXISTING ON SECONDARY http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175905.aspx MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

Thank you so much MohammedU for your help. I tried the suggested scenario and it worked. Many thanks again,
Cali
]]>