Need a project to learn | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Need a project to learn

Hi everyone,
I am a newbie interested in learning SQL Server 2000. I bought the MS SQL Server 2000 DBA Survival Guide and found the book interesting but it really didn’t have projects that i can simulate in my learning process. I was wondering if anyone who is working on a real world project at work could provide me a similar project that they are working on at work. I am somewhat of a newbie, so if you can make the project a little less complex, that would be great. If no one has any ideas, are there websites that have project examples? Thanks. P.S: I just installed SQL Server 2k the other day on my home network, but no project to use it on.
The easy way is to create your own project, like from your work place or managing your own day-to-day stuff. Have a look at this link http://www.codeproject.com/dotnet/] which has related articles suitable to your requirement. Good luck. HTH Satya SKJ
I have not seen too many places that offer entire projects to work on. If you are interested in Transact-SQL programming, a book with many, many examples, but not really entire projects, is SQL Server 2000 Programming by Example by Fernando Guerrero and Carlos Rojas. See this URL:http://www.sql-server-performance.com/sql_server_2000_prog_exp_review.asp But as satya said, come up with a personal project, such as a database to manage your home inventory, or to manage your checkbook. These are good starting projects that will help you learn a lot of the basics. Also, you can practice with your copy of SQL Server 2000 to try replication (only one computer is required), create and test maintenance plans, use DTS to move objects and data from one database to another, and so on. Just find those features that interest you the most and begin to play and experiment.
——————
Brad M. McGehee
Webmaster
SQL-Server-Performance.Com
You might also take a look at the Microsoft Certification training kits for SQL Server. The book has hands-on exercises that build on top of each other by chapter. They don’t go too in depth. Another book I recall is SQL Server 2000 Database Development with similar hands on exercises. I agree with Brad, find a personal interest or need that is in depth and turn it into your own project
]]>