New Hardware Configuration | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

New Hardware Configuration

I have just received two new servers. Each will be loaded with Windows Enterprise Server 2003 and SQL Standard 2000. Obviously there will be no clustering, however it is envisaged that one server could take over from the other in case of an emergency/downtime. My question is how best to setup the hardware for performance (i.e. does block size matter anymore etc…) Transactional server
Dell PowerEdge 2600
2 x Xeon 2.4GHz processors
4GB Ram
2 x 18GB 15K RPM Ultra320 (Raid 1, boot drive)
6 x 36GB 10K RPM Ultra320 (Raid 5, data drive) DataWarehouse server
Dell PowerEdge 2600
2 x Xeon 2.4GHz processors
2GB Ram
2 x 18GB 15K RPM Ultra320 (Raid 1, boot drive)
Dell Powervault 221s
7 x 73GB 10K RPM Ultra320 (Raid 5, data drive) TIA Blinky Bill I don’t Suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
A few things stick out about this: 1. You might want to break those data arrays up so you have a seperate RAID 1 or 10 array just for you logs.
2. 7 drives is big for RAID 5. Have you read up on the Powervault 221s enclosure to see where your optimum drive counts are?
3. You could run into really big problems trying to fail over that transactional server to the datawarehouse server. It has a big mismatch in RAM. Make sure you have plenty of room to spare on the OLTP server so if you do have to fail over, you’re not in trouble. Better yet, buy more RAM for the data warehouse server. Other than that, it’s really hard to judge how good a hardware setup is if you have no idea what the load and sizes will be on the servers. MeanOldDBA
[email protected] When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
]]>