ODBC connection across untrusted W2k domains | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

ODBC connection across untrusted W2k domains

can you establish an ODBC connection from a W2K client on domain "A" to a SQL2000 db
which resides in untrusted domain "B"? the issue is not enough $$ to put in additional equip/drops to support each network. CAN the ODBC connection cross between two W2k domains that do not trust one another…. that is the question — thanks in advance for any insight – Brian
This will work OK if you are using SQL Server accounts, not NT accounts for your authentication. I do this often. —————————–
Brad M. McGehee, MVP
Webmaster
SQL-Server-Performance.Com
I agree with Brad, this will work fine only with SQL Server Authentication. Gaurav
Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

Also make sure both domains are trusted to each other to avoid some job execution. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

Satya will you please explain this point – Why do you need the domains to trust each other? Gaurav
Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

thank you for the insight, I’m going over to test out the connection now. The 2 domains do not trust each other and even a one-way trust is not an option. I looked at the SQL vs. NT authentication and agree that the SQL authentication is the way to go. update to follow…..
]]>