ODBC Throughput | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

ODBC Throughput

We have a replication process on the sql server using ODBC(vendor application)that essentially converts data from a textfile(very random data) and loads it into the database through simple inserts/deletes. Currently with 1 odbc replication our we are seeing 1000 I/Os per second with 15% cpu utilization. When we run up to 6 replications simaltaneously we are only seeing 2150 I/Os per second. We are seeing 80% utilization with 6 replication going similtaneously. The box we have a 4-way xeon 1.9 ghz with 3gb ram. We have 10 raid-10 luns presented and are seeing very low disk queue, disk sec/read and writes. We are very healthy on that front. My question is what is the limiting factor of ODBC throughput if we are only sending simple inserts/deletes. Also, why wouldn’t we see some linear growth when adding additional replication proccesses when we still have cpu cycles left? Thanks in advance, dave
What kind of perfmon counters you’ve captured to assess the resource usage?
Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided �AS IS� with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
this is not an odbc issue, so you might want to change the title if you provide more info, i could probably tell you more first, if you are simply comparing disk iops, this tells you nothing about your system through put,
get some metrics on want you really want
]]>