Opening ISQL | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Opening ISQL

I am trying to open an ISQL session in SQL 2K. Authentication is set for SQL Server and Windows. At the command prompt I enter: isql -S [server name] -E
When I press enter the cursor drops to a new line. On this new line is the following: "1>" What am I doing wrong, or what do I do next to open ISQL?

Is waiting for next command.
Check osql (isql if for back compability) in BOL.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
I was envisioning some type of GUI interface to appear, like query analyzer. If it is waiting for the next command, how do I get to query analyzer from OSQL/ISQL?

You don’t get to Query Analyzer from ISQL. If you want Query Analyzer, open up ISQLW. ISQL is another command line, sort of GUI, tool like query analyzer. you can type in commands, then type go and hit enter. It will give you the results. OSQL is a strict command line tool. MeanOldDBA
[email protected] When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
So if perchance I ever had to restore master, then ISQLW (using query analyzer) or ISQL (command line) would be two separate tools that could be used?
Yes.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
http://www.dbarecovery.com/restoremasterdb.html MeanOldDBA
[email protected] When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
]]>