/PAE & Access violation error | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

/PAE & Access violation error

I have Win2k Adv Srvr SP4 and SQL Server 2000 Enterprise. 8 GIG RAM 2 CPUs (AMD Opteron)
Running DTS to import hundred of files. DTS runs in a loop (Import files, runs several SPs and if another file exists, start over). I am getting access violation errors:
Error: 0, Severity: 19, State: 0
SqlDumpExceptionHandler: Process 51 generated fatal exception c0000005 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION. SQL Server is terminating this process. This only occurs when I have /3GB /PAE enabled (AWE enabled and Max memory set at 6000).
When I turn of /PAE and run with only /3GB, AWE enabled and max memory set at 3000, the errors do not occur. Any Ideas? I really want to use all the ram I can since the DB is getting larger & larger (15 Gig now but will grow to over 30 Gig in next 12 months). Thanks for any help you can provide. Jon

Can you check if all RAM is Ok?
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
All RAM is OK. I have 8 1 gig RAM sticks and I have swapped them running with only 4 GIG ram and no /PAE with no errors. Jon
What SQL service pack do you have?
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Sorry I forgot to include that. SQL Server SP3a with MS03-031 patch applied. Jon
Ok, I know a similar problem with sp3 but no with sp3a.
Try to reinstall sp3a and try again.
Also wait for others members oppinions.
Luis Martin
I reinstalled SP3a and still getting the EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION errors, again only when /pae is enabled.

I would call the hardware vendor and Microsft PSS. This is a fairly serious issue and is likely hardware/OS related. MeanOldDBA
[email protected] When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
IF all the hotfixes and SPs are applied to SQL & OS and still problem persists, only way is to approach as defined by Derrick. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Hi u said u have only 8 1GB RAM, and have 15 GB database. can u pls make it clear?? Rajiv
SQL-DBA
I have 8 Gig total ram which consist of 8 1 gig memory sticks. The size of the database was 15 gig and it is now 20 gig. It will probably stabilize around 50 gig.
I have opened a support case with MS and am waiting for a response.

If possible think about archiving historic data to save the size of database and performance. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Have you tried /PAE enabled without /3GB? /3GB reduces your system resources/kernal size so you could still get 6GB withhout /3GB by putting /PAE.
]]>