perf counters not starting after server reboot | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

perf counters not starting after server reboot

I am monitoring some remote servers from a central location using performance monitor. I have created a separate set of perf counters for each server and they start and run fine if done manually. However if I reboot the monitoring server, none of the perf counters would restart. I have tried all different configuration in perf counters (max file size, stop at year 2099, stop at 1000 days, etc.) and none seems to enable automatic restart of these perf counters after the server reboot. The performance/alert service is running under an account that is sysadmin in all SQL Server instances and is local admin on all servers. Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks,
Jethro
Any message in event viewer?
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
I do not see any entries in the event log from sysmonlog when I reboot the server. However when I start the counter logs manually I see an entry in the event log for each counter log I start. The only possibly related error entry in the event log during startup is from Perflib. I don’t know if this might have something with the counter logs not starting at server startup. The error is: The open procedure for service "PerfDisk" in DLL "c:WINNTsystem32perfdisk.dll" has taken longer than the established wait time to complete. There may be a problem with this extensible counter or the service it is collecting data from or the system may have been very busy when this call was attempted. Thanks,
Jeff
Confirm the service pack level on Windows and SQL server. Satya SKJ
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>