Performance of ADD COLUMN | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Performance of ADD COLUMN

Hello I have a table with 14,000,000 rows (80 GB) and I would like to add one column with datatype image. ALTER TABLE TableName
ADD COLUMN Newcolumn image NULL My questions is:
How much time the ALTER soppuse to run ? Thanks,
Oryan
It’s depend if there is a cluster index, kind of processor and RAID. Luis Martin …Thus mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.
Bertrand Russell
Like Luis has said, it is hard to say, as there are too many variables to make a prediction. But you can count on it taking a relatively long time (potentially hours), and you should also assume your database will be down during this time, so you will want to ensure you have a large downtime window available before you begin. —————————–
Brad M. McGehee, MVP
Webmaster
SQL-Server-Performance.Com
Is it compulsory to add the image column on a huge table which you’re unsure about performance.
If not why not link the images and store image files on the server, then store path on the table for the image (which is recommended way to store images in database on the terms of performance). In my opinion it will take more than 20 hours depending upon the h/w of the server.
I think you can get more information by check execution plan for the above statement from Query Analayzer. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forums This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Thanks you all,
Oryan
]]>