Pointing Server | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Pointing Server

datasource jdbc in UAT Server has been modified to use ms sql driver & point to the UAT sql server .
I Really not understand what is exactly meaning of modified and pointing (but i know theory any application need to get access that should point to server )or otherwords we say application is pointig to database, to point one server to other what we do get that . could any one give detail idea really i am missing some basics drivers and application pointing . may i know any book or link to study more about this kind of sutuation
SRJ2005
Have you installed the Microsoft JDBC driver on the server that is to access SQL Server yet, or installed any compatible JDBC driver yet? If not, that will be your first step. You can download the Microsoft JDBC driver free from Microsoft’s website (search for it) and along with it, you can find instructions on how to install it. —————————–
Brad M. McGehee, SQL Server MVP
I my self digging information about drivers finally I found the way and use of this drivers here is my understanding it may help some users.
They are several drivers namely few OLEDB, ODBC, JDBC .., Each driver we use for different purposes
For example if we need to get access java application to MSSQL Database we use JDBC Driver otherwise we cannot connect to database .it is very simple to explain this way when you want to enter into a home you need to go through door it is same way
That is why I understood for any in order to get access we need driver
So that different applications use different drivers.
In order to perform this go start admin tools, Data sources there you can config everything
For more info referhttp://java.sun.com/products/jdbc/driverdesc.html
SRJ2005
]]>