Poor performance on Xeon processor | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Poor performance on Xeon processor

Hi there, I have a dual P3 1.13GHz Compaq server (4GB RAM) running Windows 2000 Advance Server and SQL 2000 (SP3a) and everything is running fine. I have just purchased a dual Xeon 2.2GHz Compaq server (8GB RAM) and I am running the same database and it’s 8 times slower! I have no idea why and have yet to run any performance monitors on it. All the hardware has a higher spec than the older server so I’m thinking it’s something to do with SQL and the Xeon proc. (it sees 4 of them!!) Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance, Glenn

Hi Glenn, The higher spec’ed server supports hyperthreading, some applications do go a bit weird when using hyperthreading, especially those using parallellism. The safest and easy option to try is to turn off hyperthreading (in the server’s BIOS) Cheers
Twan
True, and also capture PERFMON counters for assessment between the 2 machines.
Only if its required enable Hyperthreading, search in the forums for few topics. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Also check MAXDOP.
Luis Martin …Thus mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.
Bertrand Russell
]]>