Pre-login handshake error when connecting to DB | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Pre-login handshake error when connecting to DB

I am using SQL 2K5 enterprise trial version. I installed the above to a server (A) and installed another copy to a virtual server (B). I also installed a SQL 2K std with sp4 on the second vitual server (C). I am testing the DB mirroring between server A and server B which is working, and testing replication between server A and B (also working), and testing same replication between server A and C which is not working. When I use the ‘Connect to Database engine’ feature to connect to server C, I get an error: " Cannot connect to server C. Additonal information:
A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake. When connecting to SQL server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under default settings SQL server doesn’t allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 0 – No process is on the other end of the pipe.) (Microsoft SQL server, Error:233) " I have checked to make sure that remote connection and Name pipes are enabled in both servers. I made sure the linked server is also set up in both servers (I don’t think it is required but I do it anyway). I checked the error 233 on one of the SQL discussion groups but the suggestions didn’t help. Two SQL 2K5 trial version shouldn’t have any issues connecting to each other so I am puzzed as of what is the problem. Any help is very appreciated. wingman
Check the following setup:
Protocols:
Share Memory Enabled
Named Pipes Disabled
TCP/IP: Enabled, Keep Alive: 30000, Listen All: Yes, No Delay: No,
Dynamic Ports are disabled
VIA: Disabled
Also ensure SQLBrowser service is up and running. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>