Problem installing SQL Server 2000 SP4 | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Problem installing SQL Server 2000 SP4

hello everyone,
I have been trying to install SP4 on sandbox which is SQL Server 2000 EE Ver 8.00.818 but we have been facing a typical problem.
If the installation is done on a default instance it fails showing this error
Reported –Errors: ERROR EXECUTING REPLYSYS.SQL(1)
when we go to replsys.out for the clues we see this [DBNETLIB]General network error. Check your network documentation.
[DBNETLIB]ConnectionRead (recv()) But the same thing when we try it on a named instance the instllation goes successfully. Can any one help me out please.
Check, using Serving Network Utility, both instances has same protocols.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Sorry Luis, I think my question actually confused you. I am trying to apply SP4 on one instance only on that server, that is i am trying to install it on default instance. The following are the errors reported. ERROR EXECUTING REPLYSYS.SQL(1)
when we go to replsys.out for the clues we see this [DBNETLIB]General network error. Check your network documentation.
[DBNETLIB]ConnectionRead (recv())
Please advice.
thanks,
harish
quote:Originally posted by LuisMartin Check, using Serving Network Utility, both instances has same protocols.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell

Did you try to install sp3 again? May be the problems is not sp4.
Luis Martin
Bertrand Russell
Otherwise try to reinstall SP4 with another copy or download afresh from MS website.
Also check SQLSP.OUT file for more information. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
thanks luis and satya,
I have tried all the combinations with SP2 and SP3,both the serivce packs install well but when it comes to SP 4 the installation fails showing the error mentioned above, I searched even SQLSP.out but not much info only thing it show is
copy the files once copying is done when it tries to run the script after starting service it fails showing error. harish
Check the contents of REPLSYS.SQL and try to run on the test server to see the results. Satya SKJ
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Satya,
When i try running the same script in QA it was working fine .I fell there no problem with the script
How are you trying to apply SP4 on this default instance?
Try to logon locally on the server and apply. Satya SKJ
Well, I resolved the same problem downing the services (another application) which are using SQL Server and after run SQL-SP4
Foolproof method devised below The error message is general network error which you will see in the replsys.out file [DBNETLIB] (actually the same error you get when you try to connect to a single user mode instance.
c:prog FilesMS SQL srvMSSQLinstall
eplsys.out reports [DBNETLIB] General Network Error. While stopping all services in some cases may help, there are several situations where the database is polled externally or internally by a service which grabs the session in single user mode. Trust me, we stipped the services and apps down to panties and still could not get it to work. I tried just unplugging the network cable(does not work since SQL needs loopback) or using network lock, but the polling was respawned veritas cluster services. And no way was I going to reinstall all servers for a sp4 upgrade. I have devised a foolproof method to get it to work 100% of the time on every server. I had a case open with Microsoft and they had no clue. I tested and followed all your ideas and threads with no resolution. It does appear to be a single user mode race issue (not color for you non-caucasions, but a race to get a session in single user mode). So race cards won’t work here, ha ha See below: SQL Server SP4 has serious issues that should be addressed by Microsoft.
We had to devise a work-around to get it to work (SQL Server SP4 if it failed on the replsys.sql script). The workaround does work as proved by installation on 15 servers, so it is full proof. It was tested without doing this special method on the other servers and they bombed on replsys.sql as well. I knew what the issue was but it was difficult to prove since the setup.exe was a compiled program. Method Starts Here:
The method is quite simple:
run \x86setupsetupsql k=dbg Run sp4 in debug mode, you must run in debug mode for it to work, since it prompts for each step
Use windows or SQL authentication, When you get to the prompt to run replsys.sql script, stop IMPORTANT OR it will bomb here Prior to pressing Yes here at the replsys.sql, you must stop the MSSQL$Service if it is running and set the -m parameter in the startup parameters. Then start the MSSQL$Service (in single user mode as specified by -m parameter). As soon as it starts, delay 1-2 secs ONLY, and no more to allow the database to come up, and then press YES to run the REPLSYS.sql script Press Yes to run all the scripts up to and including 80sp4-tools.sql as the last one, Then when you are running the SP_vupgrade_replication script.sql script, stop and do the same below IMPORTANT OR it will bomb here Prior to pressing Yes before the SP_vupgrade_replication script, you must stop the MSSQL$Service if it is running and set the -m parameter. In the startup parameters. Then start the MSSQL$Service (in single user mode as specified by -m parameter). As soon as it starts, delay 1-2 secs ONLY, and no more to allow the database to come up, and then press YES to run the SP_vupgrade_replication script
You can then continue, and the setup will complete normally. You can now run the SQL Server 2162 patch (since SP4 itself is buggy) since it does not require single user mode without any intervention or special DBA fixes above. You must update SP4, yes, for all the fixes after 1007 to like 1200 were not included, and there are major issues with AWE, etc. Welcome to patch world. The 2162 patch was removed from Microsoft for a while since it too had issues (only with its setup program, imagine that), but it might be back on Micorsoft’s site, let me know and I will tell you where to get it. Method Stops Here You can simulate the exact error in the replsys.out file that occurs when SP4 bombs, by simply bring up SQL Server in single user mode, open a session to grab the single session, and then try to run replsys.sql, in an existing query analyzer session, and it will bomb, and give the exact error message as seen when SP4 bombs. Microsoft needs to create a fix for this ASAP for it is a major issue with no resolutions as evidenced by the internet search.
I had to spend a total of 15 hours analysis to get this to work and there appears to be similar bugs in the original SQL2000 RTM release, in that the messages.sql script was causing a single user mode race as well. Pete DeShan
Oracle/SQL Server DBA, System Architect
[email protected] Pete DeShan
Oh, and for you hackers that don’t work in an absolutely critical production environment, don’t bother trying to run all the scripts manually in query analyzer, for you will not complete SP4 upgrade as Microsoft designed, for there are a number of activeX updates and registrations that simply can not be reproduced without their setup program. Pete
Pete DeShan
Log on to Query Analyzer and run the following script:
USE master
GO
EXEC sp_vpupgrade_replication
GO
If you apply SP4 without having taken offline all non-writable databases that ship logs to publication databases, you receive this error: Error Running Script sp_vpupgrade_replication (1) If you receive this error, follow the preceding procedure.
]]>