Profiler in SQL Server 2005 | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Profiler in SQL Server 2005

Hi pros, I happen to spend a lot of time profiling SQL Servers and viewing execution plans of bad written queries. In SQL Server 2000 I could copy the textdata of the profiler output, paste it in a query analyzer an hit F5 to run the query. I do this often. The only problem was that a query of significant size was trimmed to some max allowed string length and I couldn’t run some length queries. That was a rare situation cos the allowed size was sufficient for most cases. HAS THIS DEFAULT SIZE CHANGED IN SQL SERVER 2005? Most of my queries are now trimmed and I don’t know how to set this to a greater length. On the top of that there seems to be a problem with the date parameters in the output of the profiler. Whenever there is a datetime parameter in the query the profiler’s output seems to put a newline in beetween the date and time of date string and the query won’t execute if I paste it as is. I loose a lot of time with editing queries. Can you please help? Thanks a lot KKT
Are you tracing 2000 or 2005 databases?
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com Although nature commences with reason and ends in experience it is necessary for us to do the opposite, that is to commence with experience and from this to proceed to investigate the reason.
Leonardo Da Vinci Nunca esperes el reconocimiento de tus hijos, eso ocurrirá luego de tu muerte
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
SQL Server 2005 KKT
Refer to BOL for sys.dm_exec_sql_text() to get the information about cached query plans. HTH Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>