Question regarding TimeOut in update table | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Question regarding TimeOut in update table

We have a trigger on a table and when a Table.column is updated from ‘N’ to ‘Y’ runs a cmdshell command. Question: Is there a parameter that one can control when a time out will occur ? (For example that a timeout will occur after 5 Minutes instead of 30 seconds When running the update in Sql Server Management Studio get the following error:
——————————————————————————–
No row was updated. The data in row 1 was not committed.
Error Source: .Net SqlClient Data Provider
Error Message: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

I presume the application is using the SqlClient Class or the Data Access Application Blocks "SqlHelper", and you have increased the Connection Timeout in your connection string, its probably because you forgot to set the COMMAND timeout. From the application when data is accessed you might want to obtain column information only, without affecting the database state with locks. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
quote:Originally posted by cmt We have a trigger on a table and when a Table.column is updated from ‘N’ to ‘Y’ runs a cmdshell command. Question: Is there a parameter that one can control when a time out will occur ? (For example that a timeout will occur after 5 Minutes instead of 30 seconds When running the update in Sql Server Management Studio get the following error:
——————————————————————————–
No row was updated. The data in row 1 was not committed.
Error Source: .Net SqlClient Data Provider
Error Message: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

If I run the update in Sql Server Management Studio by right-click to Open Table
and modify the value of the field from ‘N’ to ‘Y’, I get the error.
My Question is:
How can I DELAY the timeout to be 300 seconds and not 30 seconds ?

Why you are using SSMS to modify the table data, why not use query editor with statements? Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
]]>