Reindexing | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Reindexing

Hi !
Our vendor’s Admin Guide for product suggest to rebuild indexes using isql from different computer.
Because we can rebuild indexes from different computer using Query analyzer ,I am wondering what benefits isql gives compare to Query Analyzer?
As far I know, no one.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Thank you.
What is isql?
quote:Originally posted by LuisMartin As far I know, no one.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

CanadaDBA
You can run some application, like query analyzer, from commandcom. That is isql (with parameters, of course).
Luis Martin
‘isql’ is the text counterpart for query analyser (isqlw). The good thing I can see in isql is we can use it in batch scripts. Books Online link : mk:mad:MSITStore:C:program%20FilesMicrosoft%20SQL%20Server80ToolsBookscoprompt.chm::/cp_isql_8r39.htm /* SKChandra */
also known as osql… Tom Pullen
DBA, Oxfam GB
From Books online:
The isql utility allows you to enter Transact-SQL statements, system procedures, and script files; and uses DB-Library to communicate with Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2000.
All DB-Library applications, such as isql, work as SQL Server 6.5–level clients when connected to SQL Server 2000. They do not support some SQL Server 2000 features. The osql utility is based on ODBC and does support all SQL Server 2000 features. Use osql to run scripts that isql cannot run. /* SKChandra */
]]>