remote database backup | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

remote database backup

I am trying to take database backup using enterprise manager. But the destination is showing is that local(source) PC local drives. If I want to change the destination what should I do? I have not found any option to change the destinatioin.
Thanks
Krishna
You need to add a backupdevice to be able to do that. From BOL:
USE master
EXEC sp_addumpdevice ‘disk’, ‘MyNetworkdevice’, ‘\servernamesharenamepathfilename.bak’ Then run:
BACKUP DATABASE MyDB TO MyNetworkdevice Note that the SQL Server account need to have write access to the shared folder. /Argyle
I agree with Argyle, or you can also run
BACKUP DATABASE MyDB to DISK = ‘\servernamesharenamepathfilename.bak’
without creating a backup device.

Thanks. I have added backup device using sql query. That command successfully completed. But after that also in the SQL server bakup window I could not able to see other destinations (other pcs in my PCs in my network) in the select backup destination window.
How do I select that?
The backup destination window can only show the local drives on your PC. If you want to backup to a remote destination you have to use one of the two options explained above.
quote:Originally posted by ykchakri The backup destination window can only show the local drives on your PC. If you want to backup to a remote destination you have to use one of the two options explained above.

Correction: The backup destination window can only show the local drives on the server.
Make sure SQL Services are handled by a domain account with ADMIN privileges to carry on such backup/restore tasks. And its reliable and ideal option to backup the database locally and copy the same file to the network share as a copy. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

]]>