renaming physical datafile ? | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

renaming physical datafile ?

Hi All, Is it possible to rename a physical datafile(s) within a filegroup ? I want to implement some naming conventions. Thanks for your help and suggestions. bill
You can detach the database and reattach after they have been renamed, at the price of some downtime
,…. and for them refer to the SQL books online for SP_ATTACH_DB & SP_DETACH_DB topics. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
You can also use ALTER DATABASE statement. This is an example for tempdb. USE master
GO ALTER DATABASE tempdb
MODIFY FILE (NAME = tempdev, FILENAME = ‘c:MSSQLdata empdb_NEW.mdf’)
GO ALTER DATABASE tempdb
MODIFY FILE (NAME = templog, FILENAME = ‘c:MSSQLdata emplog_NEW.ldf’)
GO A server restart is needed. — Marek Grzenkowicz

Thanks guys.
Detaching and Reattaching worked perfectly. I tried the alter database statement. It gives the following error:
Server: Msg 5037, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
MODIFY FILE failed. Do not specify physical name.
I also figured out another way. Just take a backup of the db. drop the db.
Restore it from the backup, and specifiy the new physical file names there.
But, detaching and reattaching is much easier. thanks.
bill
True, you can use WITH MOVE option in RESTORE statement to accomplish and as you said DETACH and ATTACH is easy option with statements. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
quote:Originally posted by bj007 I tried the alter database statement. It gives the following error:
Server: Msg 5037, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
MODIFY FILE failed. Do not specify physical name.
I have no idea what the problem can be. I’ve just run it on my machine – there is no error, only a message: File ‘tempdev’ modified in sysaltfiles. Delete old file after restarting SQL Server.
File ‘templog’ modified in sysaltfiles. Delete old file after restarting SQL Server. — Marek Grzenkowicz

]]>