Replication pointers | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Replication pointers

Hi, My company is in the process of developing a hosted application for marketing departments in medium to large corporations. Our intention is that each client will have its own dedicated SQL 2K5 database, but that there will be a central repository of common information, such as countries, states, languages, etc, as well as sprocs, views, UDFs, etc. We anticipate that there will be 25-50 of these clients, and all clients need to be on the same version of the application at the same time. We’ve been looking at replication as a possible solution that would allow us to use a central database as the master to push out schema and data changes. We do not need a bi-directional data flow – only from the master to the subscribers. I have these questions:
* When new entities are added to the master database, can they automatically be added to the publication, or do we need to manually modify the publication to include them?
* Our intention is to have the databases reside on the same server. Do you have recommendations on how to best implement row filtering? Different SQL Users? Thanks!!!
In this case I believe you can use transactional replication but I don’t never done with UDFs…
You can use horizonal filtering based on client, area etc… Replicating Code Modules with SQL Server 2005
http://www.awprofessional.com/articles/article.asp?p=607372&rl=1 Check the BOL topic "Filtering Published Data "
Mohammed U.
]]>