replication with different schema | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

replication with different schema

I have a current data synch setup where database ‘A’ does a DTS synch to database ‘B’. Database ‘A’ and ‘B’ are pretty much the same except database ‘B’ has 3 extras denormalized tables to make out web site searches faster. Now, I am planning on setting up transactional replication from ‘A’ to ‘B’. This will be easy as the schema’s are the same(excluding the 3 extra tables).
So, how much work will it be to update those 3 extra tables? Can that be included in the transactional replication?

Schema changes can be replicated during snapshot replication, transactional replication, and merge replication. Column additions and deletions are implemented at the table level and propagated to all Subscribers that receive data from that table. For snapshot replication, the schema change is propagated when a new snapshot is reapplied at the Subscriber. For transactional replication and merge replication, the schema change is propagated incrementally when the Distribution Agent or Merge Agent runs. I think you cannot include those 3 extra tables as there is no reference on database A for these tables. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>