Reporting Database | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Reporting Database

Hi, Please provide me your input for implementing SQL Server Reporting database.
I have OLTP database in SQL Server 2005 as ‘OLTPLIVE’ and i am proposing a solution of replication similar database as ‘OLTPReport’ for reports to get connected, Naturally data files of both the database will on different disk. For loading a data from OLTPlIVE to OLTPReport i have suggested a solution of log shipping on hourly bases. Please provide me your input how you feel about this setup. Also note that I have below limitation from client side 1).Client is using Standard version of SQL Server 2005.So database Snapshot is not supported
2). Client dont have budget to invest on BI
3). Same Budget issue with hardware i.e. Separate database server is not within budget Thanks and Regards
Ravi K
Why not use log shipping in that case when the client don’t have spending budget. I feel Log shipping is better than using database snapshots for a warm standby basis.
Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided �AS IS� with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Hi Satya, Thanks for your input. I have given them a solution of log shipping only. Need second input from you all. Thanks and Regards
Ravi K
]]>