Reporting on Logshipping | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Reporting on Logshipping

Is it possible to run reports on my standby database in a logshipping environment? I assume when the SQL Server Agent job make periodic transaction log backups of the production primary database and send them to apply on secondary standby database, wouldn’t the restore on standby be done in exclusive mode (I.E, with no connections to the database) What i want to do here is, run reports on a copy of database which is as close to as production and having this in my mind, i think of standby as the best bet. Is this scenario possible here? If no, what could be the other alternative? appreciated some help here. Many thanks,
Cali
No matter on which server you restore the tlogs you have to kill all connections before restore…
You can run the reports against standby server but you need to stop/disable log shipping during that time… Log shipping server is mainly for DR or HA but not for reporting…. Alternative is Transactional replication and database mirroring… MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

YOu can deploy the reports, but during the log restores schedule you have to disconnect as suggested. In this case where you havent got complete availability for reporting purpose. As you have posted in SQL 2005 section I would assume you have installed 2005, mention the edition you have got. Based on that either Database mirroring check this KBAhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/910228 for more information. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information on it.
Thank you MohammedU and Satya for your answers. Really appreciated all your help here. You guys are great and always there when we need help. Thanks again for your advice, Cali
]]>