Restore backup – different unicode locale id | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Restore backup – different unicode locale id

Hi,
I got a backup from an another database and try to restore this on my machine. I get an error saying "The database you are attempting to restore was backed up under a different Unicode locale ID(1044) than the unicode locale id (1033) currently running on this server.". How can I change my settings so I can restore this backup? I`m running MS SQL Server 7.0 with no SP`s. Do I have to change collation? //Kfinsrud

Ensure both the servers are on same service pack, sort order etc. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

On SQL 7 you can not restore a database that have different collation than the server. You could restore that dataase on a SQL 2000 though but it would get upgraded in the process.
Thanks for the input.
How can I change the collation on my 7.0 so that I have the same collation as the server where the backup comes from?
There is no easy way to change collation on Ver7 as the character set, sort order, and Unicode collation are fundamental to the structure of all SQL 7 databases. In order to change one or more of these settings, you must rebuild the master and user databases. This can be achieved by using REBUILDM utility and refer to books online for more information. _________
Satya SKJ

… another alternative is :
Create new user database, and its objects and import data into the user tables by the way of DTS or BCP to load.
_________
Satya SKJ

]]>