server. We will be doing that this weekend. The size of the db is 115 GB. It
normally takes 7-8 for full backup. So we will be using that backup to
restore that DB to differnent location.
I tried restroing directly from backup server but it takes forever, since
one is in Omaha and other in VA. Even after 8 hrs of restoration it was not
done, so i had to leave my machine at work and let it restore. But when i
went back next day the server had kicked me out for being inactive for long
time plus the restore was not finished yet. The Database was showing as
So i was wondering if there is any smart way to do so. Less time…
Right now I am zipping that backup file and will copy that zipped file to
local machine and unzip it and try to restore from there, but copying itself
is taking forever. and it has already failed 3 times
Yes thats the usual way to to – backup, zip, copy, unzip and restore.
but 7-8 hrs to backup a 115 GB is really long. Are you using the native SQL backup or any third party tools? There are some really good third party tools that do a wonderful job of zipping ( to almost 80% of original size). so copying a smaller file can take lesser time. Looks like your limitation is on the hardware side. ***********************
Dinakar Nethi
SQL Server MVP
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/dinakar/
I’m using native sql backup

It is one time you can take the help the trial vesrions like LiteSpeed which compresses the backup to upto 80% and backup will be faster…
115 GB database backup size will be around 20-30GB depends on the compression level you use…
And take the backup to multiple files for easy moving from one location to another… if you use native or third party backups…
MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

Due to the sheer size of the database, it is expected the relevant time on the restore operations. If this is an ongoing operation or task on the enviornment then take help of third party tools. Do not attempt to stop the process as it will invalidate the database consistency or might mark the database as suspect after the restore. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
]]>