Restore log error | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Restore log error

Hi, My transaction logs run on the hour every hour. I just did a full db backup
and tried restoring to another server. The full backup was done, ie. 315am.
The subsequent log backup was at 4am and another one at 5am. I had no problems restoring the full db backup and the 4am log backup, but when i tried restoring the 5am backup, I get this error message: Server: Msg 4305, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
The log in this backup set begins at LSN…., which is too late to apply to the….
But the logs applied are in sequence, although i backed them up to different files,
the 4am one being trx_backup_1.bak and the 5am one being trx_backup_2.bak.
Why is this?
Raymond
When you restored the first log, did you select the option "Leave database nonoperational but able to restore additional transaction logs." If not, this is probably the cause of your problem. —————————–
Brad M. McGehee, MVP
Webmaster
SQL-Server-Performance.Com
Yes I did, i included the ‘with norecovery’ option in the restore command… Raymond
This message usually means that you are either missing an intermediate log backup or there were some transactions that were truncated in between the backups that are being applied. To restart the process you will have to disable the transaction log backups, backup your main database, apply it to the standby server, and then re-enable your transaction log backups. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>