Restore SQL 2000 Logfile on SQL 2005 | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Restore SQL 2000 Logfile on SQL 2005

I have two database for eg TEST in both SQL 2000 and SQL 2005. I receive Transaction log files from TEST database in SQL 2000 which I need to restore in SQL2005… Can we do this… waiting for reply
Yes, you can do this as long as you restored sql 2000 database backup copy on to sql server 2005 database. MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

Why do you need the transaction log to restore, when you can take the data file alone to attach for the sake to best option. Otherwise take full databaes backup and restore as suggested. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
I am receiving the transaction log from sql2000 server and i need to restore it in sql2005 server… how to go about this.. 1. First I restored a full backup in Standby/Read-Only mode in SQL 2005
2. Then I tried to restore the transaction log file but i am not able to do it i am getting error Is the steps i following correct or i am missing some thing NOTE: I need to automate this process.. help needed

Whats the error u r getting?
If you have used STANDBY or RECOVERY clause during the database restore you will not be able to restore the corresponding transaction log. As I said if you have the complete backup or take full databsae backup then no need to worry about transaction log backups, only if they happen after the full backup then you should to sync. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
Thanks Satya for the replies.. As you said I did a full backup restore in SQL 2005 and when I try to restore the transaction log i get this error "The preceding restore operation did not specify WITH NORECOVERY or WITH STANDBY . Restart the restore squence , specifying
WITH NORECOVERY or WITH STANDBY for all but the final step RESTORE LOG is terminating abnormally" NOTE: I am getting the SQL full backup and transaction log backup from one of our clients … is there some wrong when they took the back up.
Means to restore log backup you need to restore full database backup with NORECOVERY or STANDBY option. So you need to restore your full backup again with NORECOVERY or STANDBY option then apply the logs…
MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

NORECOVERY will ensure and allow the corresponding transaction log restores, otherwise the LSN will be mismatched.
Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
]]>