Rights necessary to be effective DBA | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Rights necessary to be effective DBA

I just started a new gig and the Windows admins place some pretty severe restrictions on what rights/access I have. I’m curious what permissions, rights, access other DBA’s feel they must have to be effective? Is it possible to be a SQL DBA without rights to Event Viewer, Perf. Mon, ability to log onto server (remotely or locally), map to drives on server, etc.
I’d say it depends on the requirements of the position. Is this a Production DBA position? If they want to monitor and ensure that your server is performing efficiently then let them take ownership (less work for you, less responcibility, but I would struggle with that) as long as you agree with the counters and thresholds for those counters. Problem is that a lot of counters are trended over a period of time to determine what is "normal" for a system. These thresholds can change based on day of the week, week of the month, month of the year…, and other things like data loads etc. I would say that as long as the production support "manager" understands the repercussions of not giving you access to monitor your server, check logs etc., and they take responcibility over those functions, and if communication is sufficient to inform you of what is happening on the box, and you can cordinate with them and they are responcive regarding specific needs (monitoring, etc.) you might have. Then, sure why not. I would have a big problem with this if I was hired as a production DBA if the circumstances were not right. On the other hand, if I were hired as a development DBA and this were the case I would more than likely be ok with everything as long as they have me monitoring results when I asked for them. Hope this helps, Zach
http://www.sqljunkies.com/WebLog/odds_and_ends/
I agree with Zach on the counters referred and withou having access to perfmon, event viewer etc. there isn’t much you can do in your job. Tell the Network people to deploy sort of auditing if they are worried about allowing the logins as administrators. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
<<If they want to monitor and ensure that your server is performing efficiently then let them take ownership (less work for you, less responcibility, but I would struggle with that)>> I do struggle with this! I have been asked to, "support SQL Server" and I am expected to be "on call" for production problems. My question to them was in the event of a production problem, what action am I expected to take when I do not have the tools I need to troubleshoot and/or resolve the issue? I’ve always worked in smaller shops where people were MORE than willing to turn over all things SQL (installations, patches, monitoring, security, etc) and this is a much larger shop with some pretty clear distinctions between production/non-production and associated rights. I guess I’m struggling with that.
I’m hoping to see a lot more posts like this in the future. A major part of my job is to segregate duties between support teams. It’s all a question of defining responsibilities, and granting access as appropriate.
Effectively you should have two options available; the ability to gain elevated permissions to resolve emergencies AND a team to hand over O/S issues to.
]]>