Run SQL Jobs in te background | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Run SQL Jobs in te background

Hi, I have database that is often written and red by the user. The server is responsible for the production. The client program collects many unnecessary data. These data are deleted on every weekend – in the maintenance window. The production currently woking in 7×24 so we have no maintenance window.
The jobs that are delete data from the databse nearly stops the sql server to respond any other requests and the productio hangs on. Is there any possibility to run these SQL jobs in the "background" only small impact to my system, like in W2K when you use the "start /belovnormal …" option? It is not an option to dsable this jobs and the program modification is also not possibile. Regards
Zsolt Zsolt
Hi ya, Sorry to say this but I’d suspect that program modification is your only real choice here… The deletes should be batched in such a way as to allow normal work to continue… Cheers
Twan
Run PROFILER and see where exactly the blocking occurs, though it flareup bit of performance. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

Well I guess the question was if there is a possibility of making the jobs consume less resources on the server by tweaking some settings. If this is the case then anwser is NO as SQL server does not provides this facility. The only solution can be performance tuning of the jobs as suggested by Satya. Gaurav
Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

BTW how about resources on SQL server such as Memory, CPU, database size etc.? If there is no chance of editing the code to fine tune the performance then its better to addup more memory to the SQL server to gain the performance boost. HTH _________
Satya SKJ

Hi, thanks for the suggestions.
The server has a dual 2,8 Ghz P4 processor with 4 GB RAM
WE have an MSA1000 Storage system. The server is purchased in january so I will not get any money for a new one. We had no problems before because we always get our maintenance window.
As I saw your comments the best solution is getting back the maintenance window. Thanks again
Zsolt
Yes, monitor the job schedule in the maint.window and see if any issues during that time can be fixed and make sure no 2 jobs are overlapped being SQL resources might be crunched due to the rush. _________
Satya SKJ

]]>