Running SQL Hot/Hot in Multiple Data Centers | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Running SQL Hot/Hot in Multiple Data Centers

Goal: Configure SQL Server to be hot/hot in multiple data centers so an application could connect to either data center to retrieve and manipulate data with the data keeping in sync between the two data centers. Request: Has anyone done this? Please don’t respond to this post unless you have successfully done this, as I understand there are a lot of options and theories like merge and bi-directional replication; however, I am not looking for theory but rather and implementable solution that someone has rolled out and supported in production. If you have not implemented a high available solution like this, but can point me in the right direction of someone to talk with who has that would be great too. Please also don’t respond with, "try a vendor like EMC or IBM", but rather I am searching for a resource who HAS implemented this type of high available solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I was involved in such setup earlier without any issues by considering transactional replication as a solution. As the company was rich enought they have invested whatever the configuration was referred for the hardware/network/software etc. My role was more on the database side and application they were using was developed by a third party. So I would suggest you to come with the business budget available and without any theoritical analysis its hard to implement, without having a plan its hard to choose. Hope this helps.
Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Transactional replication would not be a hot/hot solution, would it? Did you use TR with immediate updateable subscribers? We are using TR for reporting, but for what we are looking for we need both data centers to be able to update data and keep everything in sync behind the scenes.

Used with immediate update.
Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>