Server access = 'Via group membership' | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Server access = ‘Via group membership’

What is the difference between this and normal server access when I use the command SP_Defaultdb to force the creation of a login and set the default group? It seems no different to manually creating a login as an NT group in EM and then setting the default database….
sp_defaultdb will create a SQLmapping for an NT group/user and set it default database, it will not however grant the user access to the database It is essentially the same thing that EM would do if you only fill in the first tab, in EM however you’d normally flick to the database access tab to also give the user/group access to the database and if required add it into database/server roles Cheers
Twan
You need to use SP_GRANTLOGIN for granting permissions to the user. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Maybe I wasn’t clear enough. If I create a login associated with an NT group in EM, the column ‘Server Access’ states ‘Permit’ However, if I do SP_DefaultDb the column ‘Server Access’ is ‘Via group membership’ Both methods achieve the same thing but the ‘server access’ column is different and I am curious what the difference is.
sp_defaultdb does not automatically give the login access to that database. The database owner (dbo) must give database access to the login through sp_grantdbaccess, or there must be a guest user specified in the database. This overrides any other access of the user or group (such as through membership in another group that has a different login).
Satya SKJ
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
quote:Originally posted by satya sp_defaultdb does not automatically give the login access to that database. The database owner (dbo) must give database access to the login through sp_grantdbaccess, or there must be a guest user specified in the database. This overrides any other access of the user or group (such as through membership in another group that has a different login).

I understand this. My question is the name given the the login under the column ‘server access’ for one method is ‘permit’ and for the other method is ‘Via group membership’. Both methods are creating a login without assigning permissions to any databases What is the difference between ‘Permit’ and ‘Via group membership’? If you look at the properties for a login created using SP_DefaultDB you will see a third ‘security access’ setting called ‘Through group membership’. I want to know what this is and how it is different to the other options. However, if I create a login using EM and select an NT group this extra otpion does not appear.
Hi ya, I don’t know why it shows the server access as being different… both should say via group membership, since it is not actually a user account…? Cheers
Twan
I always use SP_GRANTLOGIN & SP_DEFAULTDB to perform such activities, never trust GUI tools.
To get more information on EM activity you can turn on PROFIER to get into details. Satya SKJ
]]>