server reboots and Job timings | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

server reboots and Job timings

hi I am trying to understand the best time to bring down a server for maintenance. I have a number of SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 servers which have many jobs configured to execute at numerous times during the day and night. I would like to ascertain when I can safely reboot a server without disturbing a job. I would like to do this using a single query which will give me a list of offending jobs given a time period. Anyone know how to do this ?? with MSDB I suppose ? regards
Why do you need to reboot your servers on a regular basis? Generally speaking, I only reboot a SQL Server after installing a Service Pack or hot fix, which is not very often. While I don’t have a script for you to do what you want, there is a third-party tool, called sqlSentry that will do what you want, plus a whole lot more. One of the problems with a script to do what you want is that job times can vary from run to run. Even if you know when a job starts exactly, you can only estimate when it will get done based on history. —————————–
Brad M. McGehee, SQL Server MVP
]]>