Service Accounts for Cluster | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Service Accounts for Cluster

We are going to be installing a SQL Server 2005 2 node multiple instance cluster (active/active) and I’m a little confused as to how many service accounts will need to be created. I’ve read that you should create a different domain user account for each service and each instance of SQL Server 2005 but that recommendation appears to be for stand alone installations. In a clustered environment is that the case as well? If we will have a Production instance on one node of the cluster and a Beta instance on the other node of the cluster, do we need to create two separate domain user accounts for each instance or should there only be one? Thanks, Wendy Schuman
I will go with different domain account for different instances…
But in sql server 2005 cluster you have to add the service account to individula groups… Generally there will be 3 groups (SQLServer/Agent + FullText). If you use the same service account for the services then just add that to each of the 3 domain groups you create… If you use the single account for all nodes, password change effects all instances where as if you have different accounts you can change the password different times based on downtime availability… MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

Hi…
i have questions regarding the Servcie account for sql server 2008. why do we need to create diifferent account code each account services of sql server 2008 ? do we get any problem if we use windows clustering user name for sql service account ?
Thanks in Advance.

]]>