Service startup account | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Service startup account

In my Production server, both "System account" and "This account" are gray and not accessible in:
  • SQL Server Agent properties / General / Service startup account
  • SQL Service Properties (Configure) / Security / Startup Service account
How it is possible and how can I set my new server like that one? Note: I have compared MSSQLSERVER and SQLSERVERAGENT in Windows services on both computers and they are the same. CanadaDBA
Try changing it in the Services applet instead (or Computer Management.. Services). I assume you are an administrator of the server? Tom Pullen
DBA, Oxfam GB
I don’t want to change the services’ account but I want to find out why my production is like gray while in my new computer isn’t. The previous DBA has installed the production and there is no document for what he has done.
quote:Originally posted by thomas Try changing it in the Services applet instead (or Computer Management.. Services). I assume you are an administrator of the server? Tom Pullen
DBA, Oxfam GB

CanadaDBA
Hi ya, picking up on part of what Tom said, make sure that you are a local administrator of the servers, and that you log on using NT authentication, otherwise within EM you can’t change the security settings remotely Cheers
Twan
Hi Twan,
I am using Remote Desktop and use a domain administrator account for both servers. But on my production, as I wrote, I see them in gray. I don’t want to change anything but want to know why it is this way and simulate that gray in my new server. Thanks,
quote:Originally posted by Twan Hi ya, picking up on part of what Tom said, make sure that you are a local administrator of the servers, and that you log on using NT authentication, otherwise within EM you can’t change the security settings remotely Cheers
Twan

CanadaDBA
and within EM the server registration is using NT authentication for both? on both servers does the administrator have local admin permissions (ie has someone removed the permission) also on both servers in SQL does the domain admin (perhaps by group membership default being <server>administrators) have the system administration right On our boxes the latter is changed to ensure that domain admins and local server admins don’t automatically have rights within sql Cheers
Twan
Also check what is the local security policy privileges on the server for service accounts. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>