Should service packs be installed on client ? | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Should service packs be installed on client ?

I don’t have a sql server installed on my workstation just client tools.
I thought i don’t have to install service packs?
Well the vulnerrabilities exposed by MDAC are fixed in the service pack. Also there may be some chnages in the SQL tools behavior. So you need to install service pack on client machines as well. Gaurav
Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

how then to find out which service pack is instaled on client?
Probably looking at the version of DLL’s present. I have no details about this. Probably we should wait until Satya comes back from hibernation. Gaurav
Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

http://www.sqlteam.com/item.asp?ItemID=8318
"How do you expect to beat me when I am forever?"
In EM "About Microsoft Manager Control" you find information about SP. May be Satya is fishing….. Luis Martin
Royv, NewDBA is talking about SP on client machine. Gaurav

it’s not funny anymore:network guys suspect that my box been infected
I would say, Prevention is better than cure. However, I have forwarded you the link in other post about the tool to scan for infection. Use the same to verify. Gaurav

Sorry about that gaurav_bindlish, I misread.
"How do you expect to beat me when I am forever?"
Thank you
Also am not very sure which sp should i apply for: SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine(MSDE)
or
Database Components?

I think Database Components as you don’t have MSDE installed on your machine. Wait a minute.. I think there will be an option while installing the service pack. Gaurav

No there are no options
So for server -SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine(MSDE)
for client-database components?
For server as well as clients – Database components. Gaurav

Is SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine different product?
That is MSDE. Gaurav

I guess the question then will be:
how to install MSDE?
in sql server cd->>sql server components i have only:
Install Database server
install analysis services
install english query

MSDE does not come with standard SQL Server CD. Seehttp://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/?url=/technet/security/msdeapps.asp for lict of products that include MSDE. Gaurav

Anyway when you try to install SP on the client machine it automatically detects and applies required patches. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

Well, Satya is no fishing at all… Allways is apropiate to have last SP on Workstations or Serves. Luis Martin
Thank you all very much
]]>