Simulate An Alert | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Simulate An Alert

Hi All, I just setup DBMaint SMTP Alerter for my database. Is there an easy way to simulate an alert? I just want to be sure this is working. thanks,
Wade
What was the parameter for which you set the alert? Gaurav
Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

The views expressed here are those of the author and no one else. There are no warranties as to the reliability or accuracy of anything presented here.
I don’t have any parameters set yet. Is there a parameter I can set that I can easily generate an error for? I want to make sure SMTP Alerter will send me a notification. thanks,
Wade
I think the Gaurav question is about, what kind of problem do you want alert using SMTP. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com The views expressed here are those of the author and no one else. There are no warranties as to the reliability or accuracy of anything presented here.
Follow these instructions:
– Use Enterprise Manager to create the operators. Specify an email address for each operator. [Important: Disable each operator. If you don’t disable the operators, then SQL Server Agent will also try to send mail to them and write failure messages tn the eventlog.]
-Create the desired alerts in Enterprise Manager. For each alert, specify the operator(s) you want to be notified.
-Run the client (DbMAlerterClient.exe) to create the needed tables in msdb, and also configure the SMTP mail settings.
-Schedule the server (DbMAlerterServer.exe), which will read the eventlog and submit email to the operators as configured. Recommended scheduling interval is between once per minute to once per 10 minutes. DbMAlerterServer.exe will attempt to login to the SQL Server using Windows logins and it takes one command-line parameter: the name of the SQL Server to connect to, as in
Program FilesDbMaintSmtpAlerterDbMAlerterServer MachineName[InstanceName]
Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>